Sunday, May 17, 2009

Memorable Mother's Day

Mother's Day hasn't always been one of my favorite days.  A few years I ago I decided to basically write the day off and pretend it was just another Sunday in May.  So, this year comes along and I am actually having a lovely day.  No expectations will help with that.  Everyone made me a lovely breakfast in bed.  Stu got me a composter.  The twins made cards for me and bought me flowers and they gave See's chocolate bars to the moms at church.  I taught a lesson in Relief Society about adversity and Joseph Smith in the Liberty jail which I was not all that excited about but turned out OK despite my bad attitude.  My sister came over in the afternoon and rallied the troops to cook dinner for my mom and I and we had a splendid meal.  It was a beautiful day and after dinner we decided to go outside and enjoy the sunshine.   A basketball game was suggested and I thought what better way to celebrate mother's day than to be a "good mom" and play with my children.  Ha Ha!!  No good deed goes unpunished.  The game had barely begun when I suddenly found myself in great pain and falling to the ground.  Not sure how it happened.  One minute I am guarding my man-Adam, the next I am on my back in wailing like a child about my ankle.  Tried to hold myself together but I was unsuccessful.  I hobbled to a chair and thought I would put my foot up, ice it and play spectator until I was feeling better.   As Tracy pulled off my sock to look at it and put the ice on it I changed my mind.  My ankle was HUGE and looked a bit deformed and I was going in to shock.  Shaking, nausea...interesting experience.  Stu loaded me in the car and dragged me off to the ER for an x-ray.   My ankle wasn't broken, just badly sprained but incredibly painful nonetheless.  I got IV pain meds and was incredibly grateful!!!  I had an amazing nurse who did one of the best IV's ever and coincidentally turned out to be an LDS guy from Sherwood in the Woodhaven ward.   So a couple hours later I returned home more comfortable, with more drugs to get me through the next couple of days and a new respect for sprained ankles.  A Mother's Day that was memorable if nothing else.

No comments: